Go Back   SFX > SFX > Off-topic: Discussion

Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 PM
God Of The Stratosphere

Default Is it me or is football utter, utter nonsense?

What gives?

I'm sure I'm not the first geeky/nerdy kinda guy to suggest that football is completely poo but I've just sat in my inlaw's living room pretending to like football in in a pathetic bid to.. well, I don't know really....

The eurozone is in the financial equivalent of the toilet, bankers are now globally reviled but guess what, footballers are still on 100,000+ per week... and what has the sport done for fashion? I pretty much avoid eye contact when I come across blokes (or women for that matter) with replica footy shirts on.

And when folks realise I'm from Liverpool I almost always get: 'What are you, a red or a blue'..... Urrghhhh.

Anyway, tirade over - please feel free to close this utterly pointless thread oh mighty mods :-)
Old 12-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Eternal Champion

Default Re: Is it me or is football utter, utter nonsense?

The only time I actually enjoy football is when I'm playing a footy video game, otherwise it's just something that happens to other people.

http://www.offtopica2.com/

http://www.geekplanetonline.com/inde...stcat&Itemid=0
Old 12-05-2010, 09:12 PM
God Of The Stratosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin The Ripper View Post
The only time I actually enjoy football is when I'm playing a footy video game, otherwise it's just something that happens to other people.
I used to like Sensible Soccer on the SNES but that really wasn't a great football sim I suspect.... lots of fun tho :-)
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Eternal Champion

I've never seen the point of the game myself.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Eternal Champion

On the occasion when i would watch a game with mates, i would have to be prettty blazin drunk to get into it, and when you're that drunk you can get into pretty much anything. But, i did find the necesary mindset and would shout at the tv etc when someone messed up a pass or a shot, my focus on what was going on def increased. But, I don't drink now, so no chance I'd be able to get into it.
i did like the odd computer game of it, kick-off on the amiga was good, and there was an arcade game of the world cup in the 80s, with wee cartoon type players that was great fun.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 PM
God Of The Stratosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by david icke View Post
i did like the odd computer game of it, kick-off on the amiga was good, and there was an arcade game of the world cup in the 80s, with wee cartoon type players that was great fun.
Wow - Kick Off on the Amiga 500..... I remember International Soccer on C64 Cartridge too.... isn't it peculiar that we can enjoy footy as an electronic game but shy away from anything to do with it in real life :-)
Old 12-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Eternal Champion

I hate football, and I seem to be the only guy who never could figure out how to play Subbuteo .
Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Eternal Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkcushion View Post
Wow - Kick Off on the Amiga 500..... I remember International Soccer on C64 Cartridge too.... isn't it peculiar that we can enjoy footy as an electronic game but shy away from anything to do with it in real life :-)
there was another one i had that we used to play an 8 player world cup on, my room used to get pretty rowdy and loud those times, right good laugh, you could design your own strips on that one, i don't recall the name of it, it was really slow actually, grindingly slow, but it was still great fun, this was b4 kickoff existed.
also loved Ocean's 'Match Day' for the ZX Spectrum, you might've had that, might've had a few games the same as ofcourse it was a bit like the Beatles and the Stones rivalry between those two computers, with the Amstrad being the Doors or someone.

and i putthat down to the fact that playing the game you are always going to be entertained, while watching football games are very hit and miss, as it's very easy for a football game to be boring, even for the hardcore fans.

I used to play a lot of football when i was a kid as all my mates were into it, it could be good fun a lot of the time, even if you were crap at it like me.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Eternal Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenseeker View Post
I hate football, and I seem to be the only guy who never could figure out how to play Subbuteo .
Yeah, a relative gave me a Subutteo setup, the pitch, couple of teams, even plug in floodlights, but no instructions. I was told my a friend how to play it, by flicking the wee guys, you got two flicks a turn or something, but i kept just making the wee guys run around dribbling the ball at their feet, and he got more and more frustrated and upset at me for doing this and went back into his granny's house(across the landing from us) crying, lol.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Owner Of A Lonely Heart

I think you'll probably find alot of our fellow nerds have no love for the beautiful game. You do realize there's probably a thread on some football forum somewhere along the lines of "Is it me or is Warhammer utter, utter nonsense!".

I for one don't care for football, I think it's grossly overinflated and disproportionate to the real world. I think the idea of routing for a team whose players consist of mainly foreign imported players and then going off and saying it's an English tradition or other such nonsense is ridiculous. Mitchell and Webb did a fantastic sketch on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU