Go Back   SFX > SFX > Off-topic: Discussion

Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Master Of The Universe

Location: Batley (it's near Leeds. Don't worry if you've never heard of it)
Default Job hunting

RANT: The Jobcentre. On the one hand I have my personal advisor telling me there is no point applying for certain jobs as my degrees make me overqualified and there's no hope of me getting any of those jobs, so best to fill my skills gap with a web design course and be able to apply for something I am qualified for in the future. On the other hand there are the people I see when I sign on every fortnight asking me why I haven't applied for five jobs a week, pointing me in the direction of the jobs the personal advisor told me not to bother with and generally getting really belligerent about it to the point where I have escaped being sanctioned by the skin of my teeth. What am I supposed to do? I can't find five jobs a week to apply for that I'm qualified for, and the ones I do find always seem to have really long and intense application forms. The one for the job I got an interview for took me five hours to fill in. Five hours! Exactly how many hours a week do they expect me to spend chained to a computer filling in application forms?

RANT: Also, Universal Jobmatch! Who thought that up? It's essentially a way for them to spy on your job hunting activity if you're daft enough to give them access to your account. Why not just take my Tumblr account and spy on me that way? ARGH.

RANT: I am so burnt out on job application forms that I have no inspiration left for creative writing. I hate the jobcentre.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Master Of The Universe

Default Re: RANT/RAVE OF THE DAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fainiel View Post
The one for the job I got an interview for took me five hours to fill in. Five hours! Exactly how many hours a week do they expect me to spend chained to a computer filling in application forms?

I'd guess that could be 35 hours... finding a job IS a job (and it's a thankless PITA, I know )

Wonderfully warped
Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Master Of The Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I'd guess that could be 35 hours... finding a job IS a job (and it's a thankless PITA, I know )
Then it's impossible because I spend two full days a week volunteering, a full day doing a web design class and the rest of the time trying not to have a nervous breakdown over potentially not meeting the jobsearch criteria! ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Guardian Of The Galaxy

RANT: why do people always say that Getting a job should be a full time job as if it isn't condescending crap, it's as if they assume that if you aren't spending every waking moment applying for hundreds of jobs, spending no time relaxing, spending no time with your family, spending no time volunteering to help your community, never meeting friends, never talking to anybody who can't help you get work then somehow you don't deserve £71 a week to buy food, pay the bills, and keep yourself sane.
In the real world spending 35 hours a week failing to find work will drive you into a nervous breakdown after a while especially as the jobcentre and anyone else PAID BY YOUR TAXES to help you find work will not only refuse to provide any help but will in fact spend all their time trying to find ways to remove your only lifeline while smiling as they explain that they have to do this because its their rules
The system is designed to hinder you in finding a job, giving you a specific list of things to do every week means that rather than trying everything that might be effective you are restricted to only what they tell you to do, to take an example if you need 3 jobs a week and there are 5 jobs available instead of applying for all 5 you are required to keep 2 back till next week just to meet the criteria potentially losing those jobs because of it.
Essentially whenever someone says It should be a job to find a job they are saying you should do a large amount of work givng up your life in the process on behalf of someone who considers you to be scum for not being in a job you hate for absolutely no money.
In the last decade I might have applied for 500 -1000 jobs with no success, while doing up to 20 hours a week volunteering, and looking after my 70+ parents, and yet somehow I am doing nothing compared to a teenage shelf stacker without the ability to read and write getting drunk every weekend.
RANT OVER
Wonder how long that has been inside me.

Sherlock Holmes: And then there was the curious case of the Duck in the Nighttime

Watson: But Holmes we are in the Desert why would there be a Duck in the Desert

Holmes: That is the curious incident.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Master Of The Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin' jellybean View Post
I was getting so cross on your behalf reading that thread on FB. Like "DUDES! She just started watching it! How is this an appropriate time to dissect its themes or rip the ending to bits?" Like, I get people being enthusiastic about someone discovering something they have strong feelings about, but crikey, let them actually watch it before you tell them what they should think.
Actually dreamt about this last night. Clearly it's not healthy for me to keep things in

To everyone out there job-hunting: I found the Ask A Manager blog incredibly helpful. It's American so not all of it applies but I got some really good interview/cover letter tips and enjoy reading it even now I'm not job hunting anymore.

ETA: Actually is it worth starting a job-hunting thread, where people can share advice/tips/horror stories/commiserate/celebrate?

Boo's Facebook

Tweet me: @bookiesnacksize

Intrepid Book Correspondent for www.geekplanetonline.com
Old 03-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Guardian Of The Galaxy

Default Job hunting

Here is a thread dedicated to those of us out there desperately trying to find a job in this recession.
Share your tips like:
If you have a large application form due in a week don't do it all at once, do it a page at a time over a few days so you are relaxed while filling in the othere information, and job description sectins, this also gives you time to double check it before hitting send.
or your nightmares:
How many times have you walkked into an interview where the interviewer is so unprepared that they actually say "I just read your CV JUst now" or "I've never done this before so bear with me"
or any other gripes or praises you might have.
Feel free to include problems with the Jobcentre
Or insane Job Ads, why does nobody ever think that it might be helpful to say what the product is when specifying that you will be required to show product knowledge.

Sherlock Holmes: And then there was the curious case of the Duck in the Nighttime

Watson: But Holmes we are in the Desert why would there be a Duck in the Desert

Holmes: That is the curious incident.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Eternal Champion

Default Re: Job hunting

Mrs Beaker is doing this right now. She works for a local arts organisation but thanks to the valueless Tory lizard scumbags cutting funding to pay for more quail’s eggs for Cameron’s breakfast she will be down to two days a week soon.

A lot of places she is applying to are on-line applications only, many with the most user-hostile interfaces. She has entered the same information numerous times for numerous jobs. Very frustrating!

Whatever happened to the good old days of sending a CV in then going for an interview…best bib & tucker, sweaty palms and all?

https://twitter.com/SteveHyett
Old 03-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Master Of The Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj View Post
RANT: why do people always say that Getting a job should be a full time job as if it isn't condescending crap, it's as if they assume that if you aren't spending every waking moment applying for hundreds of jobs, spending no time relaxing, spending no time with your family, spending no time volunteering to help your community, never meeting friends, never talking to anybody who can't help you get work then somehow you don't deserve £71 a week to buy food, pay the bills, and keep yourself sane.
In the real world spending 35 hours a week failing to find work will drive you into a nervous breakdown after a while especially as the jobcentre and anyone else PAID BY YOUR TAXES to help you find work will not only refuse to provide any help but will in fact spend all their time trying to find ways to remove your only lifeline while smiling as they explain that they have to do this because its their rules
The system is designed to hinder you in finding a job, giving you a specific list of things to do every week means that rather than trying everything that might be effective you are restricted to only what they tell you to do, to take an example if you need 3 jobs a week and there are 5 jobs available instead of applying for all 5 you are required to keep 2 back till next week just to meet the criteria potentially losing those jobs because of it.
Essentially whenever someone says It should be a job to find a job they are saying you should do a large amount of work givng up your life in the process on behalf of someone who considers you to be scum for not being in a job you hate for absolutely no money.
In the last decade I might have applied for 500 -1000 jobs with no success, while doing up to 20 hours a week volunteering, and looking after my 70+ parents, and yet somehow I am doing nothing compared to a teenage shelf stacker without the ability to read and write getting drunk every weekend.
RANT OVER
Wonder how long that has been inside me.

sorry but the harsh reality is that if you are out of work and you want to earn then finding a job is you main priority... not volunteering, visiting friends, visiting family, picking your nose, whatever. If you have time to do all of the above and more whilst finding yourself work then great, however if you find that your non-work activities get in the way then quite frankly you need to reassess your priorities. If you were in work you'd not be able to do these things so why should it be such a hardship curtailing these activities whilst trying to get yourself employed again.

Wonderfully warped
Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Master Of The Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
sorry but the harsh reality is that if you are out of work and you want to earn then finding a job is you main priority... not volunteering, visiting friends, visiting family, picking your nose, whatever. If you have time to do all of the above and more whilst finding yourself work then great, however if you find that your non-work activities get in the way then quite frankly you need to reassess your priorities. If you were in work you'd not be able to do these things so why should it be such a hardship curtailing these activities whilst trying to get yourself employed again.
Well for starters the volunteering keeps your CV current and makes you more employable. Plus if it's anything like where I volunteer at, you get the internal job bulletin which features jobs you wouldn't get access to as a normal member of the public. That's a major positive. It also gets me interacting with people which is another skill which makes you employable (and yes I think interacting with people is a skill. I am naturally shy and don't really do it unless forced. Volunteering has helped me make friends and come out of my comfort zone a bit). If I spent 35 hours a week looking for jobs, applying for jobs and nothing else, I probably would've done something insanely stupid a long time ago.

As for interacting with family and friends getting in the way of looking for a job. Know how I got my last job? Through my cousin.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Master Of The Universe

Default Re: Job hunting

despite me seeming a little heartless on another thread I'll weigh in here and just say.... if you like the sound of a job but you don't have all the requisite skills, apply anyway! It may well work out, especially since virtually no-one has the full range of skills most job specs require.

The above may sound self evident but there are a huge amount of peeps who won't apply on the basis "they want more than I've got" - me being one of them until I thought "sod it" about a job with a language requirement... which I got, it transpired my other skills were worth more to them than the language.

Wonderfully warped