Go Back   SFX > SFX > TV

Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Guardian Of The Galaxy

Default Re: Game Of Thrones S2 episode discussion BOOK READERS WITH SPOILERS

Well they'd have to other wise Maisie would be in her forties before Winds of Winter is even published, let alone adapted.

"There is a man. With a type writer. This is all his twisted imagination."

"Reverse the jelly baby of the neutron flow"

"She bought my ignorance with baked goods"

"Don't tell me you're still on Myspace." "We're more Ceefax people."
Old 06-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Master Of The Universe

Quote:
Was that mad Kings Landing preacher the future high septon?
In the books Brienne encounters the future High Septon outside King's Landing shortly after leaving the city (in AFFC). Of course, there's no reason that the TV show couldn't introduce him earlier and in a different places. Based on the changes so far, we can expect the show and the books to have diverged a lot further by the time they reach that point.

Quote:
What if the TV series has decided to re-introduce this leap forward? It would certainly solve the problem of the child actors out-aging their character's.
Possible but unlikely. More likely, each season will be said to cover 1 year. In the books between the start of AGoT and the end of ADWD about 3 years have passed, so it's not too huge a shift to suggest 2 years extra take place, especially given that in the books some events seem to happen extremely rapidly and could do with being spread over a longer period of time.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Sentinel Of The Solar System

I wish I had not read A Clash of Kings now.

Tonights episode really narked me, not one single story line was as in the book. I can not watch it without thinking that and it's ruining my enjoyment.

Argh! (this is exactly how I feel)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Eternal Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kixxykat View Post
I wish I had not read A Clash of Kings now.

Tonights episode really narked me, not one single story line was as in the book. I can not watch it without thinking that and it's ruining my enjoyment.

Argh! (this is exactly how I feel)
That's interesting; I had the exact opposite response - loving that I don't entirely know where things are going.

Which isn't to say I enjoyed it unreservedly. Theon's capture of Winterfell just screamed "WE HAVE NO MORE MONEY OR TIME". If you have to have a character explain on-screen how he captured (arguably) the most important location in the story so far, you've messed up. It's also bugging me that Bran sent Ser Rodrik with a bunch of men to break the siege of Torrhen's Square, but Rodrik apparently returned alone. Where is his force? Are all the rest of Theon's men dead? What happened at Torrhen's Square?

(Oh, also, how did Luwin know Theon is operating with a skeleton crew?)

The introduction of Ygritte annoyed me a little. Qhorin's decision ("We'll leave you to kill your first ever living person, and assume it all goes well, for no reason at all") felt cheap, and "He hit the rock beside her!" is a massive cliche, to say nothing of being a spectacularly bad way to treat a sword. Ygritte herself, though, I really liked.

And just where are Dany's dragons? I'm going to go with the Houses of the Undying. Making Pree a more obvious antagonist might help with what will go down later on; assuming of course Dany's story isn't changed still further.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Eternal Champion

Having Dany's dragons stolen is a major deviation from the book but I can why it makes sense. Think about it, Dany is a teenager travelling with mainly old, sick men and women protected by less than a handful who are good with a sword. How the hell her dragons weren't taken from her in the books I dont know.

So Jon & Ygitte's storyline is altered a little, maybe they're going in a different direction, I did feel having Jon kill Qhorin a waste of a good strong character in the books, maybe that isn't going to happen now.

Glad the Hound finally got to kick some ass, although the whole parade through Kings Landing looked small in comparison to the books it kinda worked. Though I do wonder at allowing the King & royal family walk back?

Not sure where things are going at Harrenhal, already Arya has had two men killed that died much later in the books - also with the Tickler gone we're robbed of Arya Hulking out on him in the inn and with Loch gone we dont get the bear pit bit - and also she seems to be getting cosy with Tywin, will his storyline deviate I wonder.

I enjoyed last nights episode and like Squid said changing things makes it more interesting for book readers as even we now don't know what might happen.

Here's Me

Published Credits

And Here's Me On Twitter
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 PM
God Of The Stratosphere

I just realised that Osha is played by Natalie Tena, who was Tonks in the HP films. As a fan of Tonks, last nights scenes (which I don't recall from the book) were unexpected!

Where's my Elephant?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Eternal Champion

Talking of Arya at Harrenhal, I forgot to mention how much more I like her second choice here than in the book. Forcing her to use up a name to keep herself alive works far better than her just wanting petty revenge.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Guardian Of The Galaxy

I'm a bit confused but I think in a good way.

Changing events and characters around here and there will keep things more consistant and I think that the show would benefit from a smaller cast than the books. We can't tell the difference between Osha and Asha remember... yep, although I don't agree with that, the smaller cast should hopefully work better.

I was convinced that the theft of the dragons never happened in the book. My mate was convinced it did. Kahless has confirmed but this gives Dany and Jorah Mormont something to do while we wait for the latter parts of Dany's story from Clash.

I'm also liking the fleshing out of Robb's deciding to break his contract with the Frey's. Much better than disappearing for over half a book only to turn up and say, hey, meet wifey. Although I'm surprised that Cat spotted it so quickly.

Am I wrong in saying that Bran and Rickon fleeing from Winterfell has come a bit earlier? I can't remember the juxtaposition of events from the book(s). And where are Meera and Jojen?

Also, where the producers said there'd be a character die in season 2 that didn't in the books, I'm sure we're in excess of 2 now.

The riot scene was a bit claustrophobic, but I'd read it as such (maybe because I was reading after seeing the scenes of Arya in Kings Landing in Baelor last season, where the streets were very narrow).

Was I the only one who thought the bit where the High Septon got got was a bit like a zombie film/series? Very gruesome.

Love Tyrion's rant at Joffrey.

And the Dog to the rescue.

How many episodes are left?

"There is a man. With a type writer. This is all his twisted imagination."

"Reverse the jelly baby of the neutron flow"

"She bought my ignorance with baked goods"

"Don't tell me you're still on Myspace." "We're more Ceefax people."
Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Eternal Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappos View Post
Am I wrong in saying that Bran and Rickon fleeing from Winterfell has come a bit earlier? I can't remember the juxtaposition of events from the book(s). And where are Meera and Jojen?

Also, where the producers said there'd be a character die in season 2 that didn't in the books, I'm sure we're in excess of 2 now.
Yeah, B & R didn't run until after the Bastard of Bolton shows up in the book. As to deaths, I don't think they meant there will be exactly one. Rakharo is definitely one, and I seem to remember the Tickler making it out of CoK. Lorch got the crappy end of a bear in SOS, didn't he?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Master Of The Universe

Yes, the Reeds! That's what was missing! I knew something was bugging me about Bran and Rickon's escape. I wonder if they're just being done away with, or if they'll meet them on the road?