Go Back   SFX > SFX > Movies

Old 15-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Ruler Of Mars

Default Re: The Avengers Assemble

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddersj04 View Post
There was a screening for The Avengers recently (last night I believe). Reviews are embargoed until May 2nd
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ormiston View Post
What does that mean for UK reviews? The film comes out here April 26th, will they not be able to put reviews online?
They embargo would only apply to the US - reviews in the UK will be out on the day of release (or maybe earlier, depending on the studio's rules).
Although technically blocking online US users from accessing non-US sites is possible, blocking off individual pages within online newspaper sites is probably harder, and probably costly to someone. Given the wide coverage the film is to generate across many newspapers, I can't see it happening.

Surprised it isn't being held for a pan-world one-day release though (ala Dark Knight, etc.), rather than a split multi-region release.

In fact the embargo doesn't have any legal standing - while a studio may not want a news site posting a review, they can't actually do anything to stop them (which is why sometimes it happens). What they can do is show how pissed off they are, by stopping the news site from getting (p)review access to other films coming up, or blocking interviews with the actors. Hence why most newspapers, etc., tow the line.
And the mome raths outgrabe."

A book is not a film. A TV drama, a TV cartoon, a computer game is not a film. A Disney ride, a toy range is not a film. A COMIC BOOK IS NOT A FILM ! A $100m film is made for the masses, is made to make money. A S100m film is not made for the geeks. A $100m film is not made just to satisfy self-appointed true-believers of the 'Source'. Repeat.
Old 15-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Master Of The Universe

Well blocking reviews until the day of release just sounds daft to me.

However, user reviews are already appearing on IMDB, with all but one are saying it's brilliant.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."
Old 15-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Master Of The Universe

New clip of Thor and Cap in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSYYVdbYlZE
The Aliens seem to be equipped with the "unspecified beam" guns from the 90s Spider-man and X-Men cartoons that didn't actually do too much damage to superheroes when they got hit. Should be a piece of cake.

Last edited by Fricky; 16-04-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 16-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Ruler Of Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricky View Post
The Aliens seem to be equipped with the "unspecified beam" guns from the 90s Spider-man and X-Men cartoons that didn't actually do too much damage to superheroes when they got hit. Should be a piece of cake.
You do know that's a spoiler, don't you ?

A book is not a film. A TV drama, a TV cartoon, a computer game is not a film. A Disney ride, a toy range is not a film. A COMIC BOOK IS NOT A FILM ! A $100m film is made for the masses, is made to make money. A S100m film is not made for the geeks. A $100m film is not made just to satisfy self-appointed true-believers of the 'Source'. Repeat.

Last edited by The Yeti; 16-04-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 16-04-2012, 02:17 AM
Master Of The Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
You do know that's a spoiler, don't you ?
Fixed. Maybe you should remove the quote from your post too?

Old 16-04-2012, 02:28 AM
Ruler Of Mars

Quote:
Fixed. Maybe you should remove the quote from your post too?
Er, try taking the word Aliens out

Old 16-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Master Of The Universe

Uh...no. That's not a spoiler. It would be a spoiler if I knew what specific race they were and said that, but I don't and I didn't. We've all been pretty fairly assuming that they're aliens of some sort, regardless of what has or has not been said on the matter. Unless you mean it's a spoiler for the clip...?

Last edited by Fricky; 16-04-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 16-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Master Of The Universe

Location: Hell On Earth (Well, Wiltshire, but little difference)

Just thought i'd post this review up of The Avengers done by someone I know. No real spoilers about the film, but he does reveal which alien race Loki is commanding.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/roddersj04

Blog: http://roddersreviews.blogspot.com

"The hardest thing in the world is to live in it. Be Brave. Live"
Old 16-04-2012, 11:53 AM
God Of The Stratosphere

The embargo is till the 20th April so still 6 days before release. I was at the screening last week and can confirm this.

Also there have been quite a few sites talking about the army that Loki uses/fights with/or just knows... and who they are exactly so not a major spoiler. I will leave it to you to track then down if you want.. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddersj04 View Post
Just thought i'd post this review up of The Avengers done by someone I know. No real spoilers about the film, but he does reveal which alien race Loki is commanding.
Watch out as this review does have a major spoiler in it so be warned.

Proud to be part of the Geek Syndicate. http://www.geeksyndicate.co.uk/
Old 17-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Ruler Of Mars

Quote:
Uh...no. That's not a spoiler. It would be a spoiler if I knew what specific race they were and said that, but I don't and I didn't. We've all been pretty fairly assuming that they're aliens of some sort, regardless of what has or has not been said on the matter. Unless you mean it's a spoiler for the clip...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by montoc1701 View Post
Also there have been quite a few sites talking about the army that Loki uses/fights with/or just knows... and who they are exactly so not a major spoiler. I will leave it to you to track then down if you want.. :-)
Please be aware that not all of us here are hopping between other sites trying to pick up tidbits and photoclips on the film, or have ever read any of the comics.
The fact is the trailers have made no mention of, or shown, aliens, and so mentioning them on this site is a spoiler. Probably not a big one, as I guess they'll turn up early enough in the film, but nonetheless, it was information not revealed by the trailers or other common media aimed at the general moviegoer.

Last edited by The Yeti; 17-04-2012 at 09:13 AM.