• Coming Soon reports that the new Riddick film has been given a R rating in the US. That’s the same as Pitch Black received, while The Chronicles Of Riddick was a PG-13. R isn’t quite the equivalent of the UK 18 (under 13s are banned, and 13 to 16 year olds must be accompanied by a grown up) but it does indicates a film with more extreme violence, swearing and/or sex. So that’s all good news if you want the third film to be tonally more like the first than the second.
• Lionsgate has signed up advert and pop video director Daniel Askill for a sci-fi project called When First We Were Gods, based on a short story by children’s and young adult novelist (and former tax collector) Rick Yancey (The Highly Effective Detective, Alfred Kropp, Monstrumologist). Set in a world where immortality is an option for the rich, it centres on a man who attempts to murder his immortal wife. [via Deadline]
• Skyfall will comfortably break through the $100 million box office barrier by Thursday, predicts The Hollywood Reporter, and that’s before it’s even opened in the US. The first four-day total in the UK alone is a massive $39.3 million. Skyfall producers Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said they were, “overwhelmed with the reaction to Skyfall this weekend,” in the UK. “It is particularly thrilling as the UK is home to James Bond and it being the 50th anniversary year.”
• NBC has finally confirmed a launch date for Community season four in the States: 7 February 2013. [via TVLine]
• Kurt Russell, Peter Sarsgaard (Green Lantern), Richard Jenkins (The Cabin In The Woods) and Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter) have joined the cast of horror western Bone Tomahawk, from first time director S Craig Zahler. The film is about a sheriff (Russell), a gunslinger, a befuddled oldster (Jenkins) and a cowboy (Sarsgaard) as they attempt to rescue a group of captives (including Carpenter) from a band of cannibalistic troglodytes.” [via Collider]
• Winter Is Coming has posted this new set photo from Game Of Thrones season three. The photo, snapped by @marymoconnell in Ouarzazate, Morocco, shows ranks of Unsullied standing by a mounted figure. Visit the site for their usual informed speculation about what’s going on.