Halo 4 Invades Liechtenstein
Yesterday, for one day only, Liechtenstein became a pocket universe – the Halo universe – as Xbox 360 took over the European Principality most iconic landmarks, including a 13th century castle and a working mine, to create a real-life Halo experience to mark the launch of Halo 4.
Master Chief pictured outside a Swiss military installation on the Liechtenstein border
Super fans and worldwide media from 16 different countries were catapulted into this off-world environment to take part in an experience which saw them travel to a top secret location before being unexpectedly thrust into a war zone which recreated brutal battle grounds through pyrotechnic explosions, thunderous sound effects and cinematic set builds.
Guests given orders by UNSC officers
Halo 4 is the start of a new saga in the Halo story which is set to cause a sensation when it hits stores on Tuesday 6 November. Acclaimed film director David Fincher, the creative visionary behind Hollywood thrillers such as Fight Club and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, has produced an action-packed launch trailer for the game and American talk show host Conan O’Brien and actor Andy Richter are voicing two of the game’s characters. The soundtrack was composed by award-winning producer and composer Neil Davidge, long-term co-writer and collaborator for music production outfit Massive Attack.
Halo 4 ushers in the return of mankind’s greatest hero, the Master Chief, in a newly envisioned sci-fi adventure. Set nearly five years after the events of Halo 3, Halo 4 follows the Master Chief as he ventures into a mysterious new world and discovers an overpowering ancient evil that threatens to annihilate mankind.
Xbox 360 worked with the government-owned Liechtenstein Marketing, which promotes Liechtenstein as a tourism destination and a place to do business, to transform the country. The unique makeover included:
• Reimagining a 13th Century Castle – standing on a 70-metre high spur of rock, Gutenberg Castle, one of the most important historical landmarks of Liechtenstein, took on a new guise as a futuristic military fortification where guests become among the first to play Halo 4
• Overtaking an entire quarry – a working mine became a jaw-dropping arena for sci-fi adventure, with an appearance from the hero of Halo 4, the Master Chief, amidst a series of pyrotechnic explosions
• Creating a Military Camp in the countryside – a local farmer’s field become a post-apocalyptic battle ground
• Finishing touches included the use of bespoke props, special effects and pyrotechnics
• Immersive theatre –15 actors took guests on a two-hour adventure which involved decoding a series of cryptic clues to help save mankind from extinction by fighting off the threat of an attack
A quarry in Liechtenstein becomes the stage for an epic sci-fi saga as Xbox 360 transforms the country to launch Halo 4
The standard edition of Halo 4 will be available for £49.99 (RRP), and the Limited Edition, which includes an extended 90-minute version of the live-action digital series Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn and additional bonus content, will be available for £69.99 (RRP). Fans can also pick up the Xbox 360 Limited Edition Halo 4 Console Bundle for £269.99 (RRP) and a standalone Xbox 360 Limited Edition Halo 4 Wireless Controller for £39.99 (RRP). Visit http://www.xbox.com/Halo-4 for more details.
Master Chief stands guard outside Liechtenstein’s iconic Balzers Castle
Above and below: Xbox 360 transforms Liechtenstein’s iconic Balzers Castle as part of Microsoft’s Halo 4 launch
Fans during the dramatic finale of Xbox 360’s Halo 4 launch experience
UNSC vehicle convoy transfers guests across Liechtenstein
Halo 4 gameplay area in the central courtyard of the iconic 13th Century Balzers Castle in Liechtenstein